PDA

View Full Version : Fast lvling or not?

JustMe
09-30-2012, 02:40 AM
I noticed that skills in skills tree doesn't have any level requirement. That means a glad lvl1 can have the same skills as a glad lvl 9999.
So the point is: if I go tavern with my low level glad, and I do all contracts that gives my glad the less possible experience, I can obtain skill points, but my glad will be low level, so when I level up him he will be really powerful.

This may seem a bit slow because I can only get 1 point per contract and some contracts doesn't give points. Of course, it's slower over time, but it's faster per level. I mean, each level i get much more points than fast leveling, although I need to spend more time training in tavern.

In the other hand, leveling up fast will grant 2 points per level only. I will reach higher levels and access to better equipment faster, but the skills and talents will be absolutely inferior and I will be fighting in Arena/BlackMarket other players that may have more skills talents and stats (str, agi, whatever...)

The question is: should I invest energy in Tavern to get the most possible skill points before start to lvling, or should I fast level? Which is more decisive: fast godlike equipment or fast godlike talent tree?

Some voice inside me says to lvl up slow and get plenty of skill points. But I'm not sure if such voice is a noob voice or not. :p

Lunarion199
09-30-2012, 08:01 AM
The level sitting tactics give huge advantage especially in pit fights against those who aren't aware of them. For example a level 4 slave with level 10 weapon skill (enhanced by spending trophies and/or training points gained just from tavern contracts) is simply unbeatable in its level by normal slaves and by tavern NPCs.

There are games which allow you to train your hero in any of the available skills you like, but the skill level cannot exceed hero level. This works well and with some tailoring could also be implemented in our game. For example,

- A level 1 slave can train in any available skill/s up to level 5.
- To train any available skill to level 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 would require slave level minimum 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 respectively.

Thus if you want to train a weapon skill or brute force or athleticism to 10, for example, your slave must be minimum level 25. This may perhaps force the players to quickly level up/ initiate arena challenges if they can't wait to perfect their skills.

Regards

JustMe
09-30-2012, 08:39 AM
The level sitting tactics give huge advantage especially in pit fights against those who aren't aware of them. For example a level 4 slave with level 10 weapon skill (enhanced by spending trophies and/or training points gained just from tavern contracts) is simply unbeatable in its level by normal slaves and by tavern NPCs.

There are games which allow you to train your hero in any of the available skills you like, but the skill level cannot exceed hero level. This works well and with some tailoring could also be implemented in our game. For example,

- A level 1 slave can train in any available skill/s up to level 5.
- To train any available skill to level 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 would require slave level minimum 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 respectively.

Thus if you want to train a weapon skill or brute force or athleticism to 10, for example, your slave must be minimum level 25. This may perhaps force the players to quickly level up/ initiate arena challenges if they can't wait to perfect their skills.

Regards

That's a point.

The player should find a balance between leveling up the character and leveling up the skills.
Fast leveling will allow you to get access to more skills levels, but you will be low on skills if you level so fast.

But in either case fast leveling doesn't seem a very good idea.

Toop55
09-30-2012, 11:52 AM
I noticed that skills in skills tree doesn't have any level requirement. That means a glad lvl1 can have the same skills as a glad lvl 9999.

Actually you can only get up to level 50 it's the highest you can go for now so you really can only get 100 skill points plus the ten you get at the beginning this means that you will have to go to the tavern eventually to get more than 11 full trains as there is a hundred full trains ( the max trains you can have) so yes you can go to the tavern and get your skill points and beat all the lower level slaves but then you will be put up against the big dudes in Upper ranks (as each win goes towards what rank you are) this means you will have to level up to compete against the armor the bigger people have and will even out eventually no matter what you do. As far as black market you can do that to win a lot although it will take some time to get your skills up based off the tavern only and you won't earn as much money as you would as a higher level each time you win

Prinny
09-30-2012, 01:19 PM
Go for the skills, the equipment will come along the way ;)
I always do my tavern quests first and distribute the points before starting my arena fights, that way you enter the battles with (possibly) some skills on a higher level and he/she should perform better ;)

I don't believe a lvl cap is really needed for skill levels since you will be a fairly moderate level by the time you get your skills to 10 anyway and the trophy function (pay for all of the gladiators skills right away so that theyre maxed at a low level) will catch up with them fast as your gladiator will win alot of his fights and come across gladiators of 10-15 levels higher than him very soon which is where the difference in equipment kicks in ;)

Cynaidh
09-30-2012, 01:40 PM
I believe the game is self policing in this anyways in that it will only let you do so many tavern fights without an arena fight now. That was put in cause people where doing what you where saying, having glads in the lowest level of the arena brackets with a lot of levels/skills that they got by only doing tavern fights and no arena fights at all. This of course let them destroy who they where matched up against in the black market pit fights (that was the only real reason to do it).

JustMe
10-01-2012, 01:13 AM

Actually you can only get up to level 50 it's the highest you can go for now so you really can only get 100 skill points plus the ten you get at the beginning this means that you will have to go to the tavern eventually to get more than 11 full trains as there is a hundred full trains ( the max trains you can have) so yes you can go to the tavern and get your skill points and beat all the lower level slaves but then you will be put up against the big dudes in Upper ranks (as each win goes towards what rank you are) this means you will have to level up to compete against the armor the bigger people have and will even out eventually no matter what you do. As far as black market you can do that to win a lot although it will take some time to get your skills up based off the tavern only and you won't earn as much money as you would as a higher level each time you win

But if you don't go tavern for farming skillpoints... how can you earn skill points at a reasonable pace? I never got a single point from black market. I got from arena fights and challenges, but arena fights can only be up to 8 per day if you can get 8 tokens somehow every day, and challenges are also very limited.

is there any other way i'm missing?

Also, doing taver will give you coins and some exp, and you can do it 20 times per day, and I usually get around 10 skill points each day, that means one skill level per day. After 100 days, maybe a bit more, I will get all my skills maxed.

I believe the game is self policing in this anyways in that it will only let you do so many tavern fights without an arena fight now. That was put in cause people where doing what you where saying, having glads in the lowest level of the arena brackets with a lot of levels/skills that they got by only doing tavern fights and no arena fights at all. This of course let them destroy who they where matched up against in the black market pit fights (that was the only real reason to do it).

Since I started playing this game some days ago i only did something like 5 arena fights. All the time i go tarvern up to the 20 times limit. Then just black market for getting money. I only go arena when my tokens are 8 i only spend one.

I think the best way to solve "uber-skilled" low level glads is imposing a limit of skill points per gladiator level. This way you know that a level 6 glad has approx the same skill power than a lvl 5 or 7 glad.

Dainoji
10-01-2012, 01:40 AM
While you might think you've found a bug or exploit or great way to skill up and become powerful all you are really doing is making the game less fun for yourself and getting very little in return. There is a skill cap and a level cap and all gladiators will reach it and be equal in that regard. It is VERY easy to get to level 50 with a great record that you don't need "tricks" to do it. I don't really know what you are hoping to accomplish. Arena ranking is based on your fights in the arena, and while you may not be initiating fights you'll still get matched up with other gladiators and that will push you up in the rankings albeit slower but it will happen anyhow. The arena is also your best source of gold, xp, achievements, you name it, and once your super retarded glad starts reaching the skill cap you'll rocket up the rankings faster than you can say "I just wasted 100 days of my life" and all you'll get for it is a handful of wins against inferior gladiators for a few days which you would have gotten anyway if you had been fighting all along creating a good build. Slow or fast you'll end up in the same place as everyone else with a similar record and none of the knowledge gained from fighting in the arena making you all that much less competent as a manager who will then get destroyed in Primus and the Blood Games.

But if you don't go tavern for farming skillpoints... how can you earn skill points at a reasonable pace? I never got a single point from black market. I got from arena fights and challenges, but arena fights can only be up to 8 per day if you can get 8 tokens somehow every day, and challenges are also very limited.

Nobody is saying not to go to the tavern, you should be going to the tavern every day and fighting in the arena and fighting in the pit fights if you want. If you want more fight tokens each day get yourself the memberships on the stable upgrades screen.

is there any other way i'm missing?

Yes, the entire point of the game which is to build a gladiator and fight in the arena.

Also, doing taver will give you coins and some exp, and you can do it 20 times per day, and I usually get around 10 skill points each day, that means one skill level per day. After 100 days, maybe a bit more, I will get all my skills maxed.

Your chance to train a skill will start dropping after level 3 in that skill and you'll need a lot of training points to keep making good progress, training points you won't be getting if you aren't fighting in the arena.

JustMe
10-02-2012, 12:57 AM
I can't agree. In my opinion, the aim of the game is to be the first in the arena rank list, which is the ultimate challenge where all aspects of the gladiators are tested: the weapons and armor proficiency, the skill build and the combat tactics.

For being the first in the rank you need to have the best weapon & armor, the best skill build and the best combat tactic.

And for being the first in the ranking list, you need to win many times, more than your loses. So, with bad skill build, you will be likely get pwned all the time. The same with bad equipment or bad strategy.

I don't think I'm missing some part of the game because I will get them all. Just only in different order than other players.

And yes, there was someone saying "do not do tavern quests they are stupid". I can't remember the thread where I read that.

About the chance to train a skill, yeah I already noticed. Does Stamina increases this percentage? Description says "Increases your gladiator's chance to train attributes and determines ..."

Alba Kebab
10-02-2012, 01:07 AM
I can't for the life of me think of anyone who'd say "do not do tavern quests they are stupid", maybe it's an old thread you were grave digging through.

JustMe
10-02-2012, 02:12 AM
I can't for the life of me think of anyone who'd say "do not do tavern quests they are stupid", maybe it's an old thread you were grave digging through.

Read #2 from this message just some days ago:
forum . pitofwar . com /showthread.php?1431-Some-unexplained-questions&p=8624&viewfull=1#post8624

sevenseas
10-02-2012, 07:22 AM
the only place where rank matters is primus and the blood games....all other ladders are just stepping stones. The only point to the entire game for most of us is to play king of the mountain and try to knock off the 5-6 leaders that dominate primus. So....do it how you do it and try to get those leaders.

oedi
10-02-2012, 07:28 AM
Im pretty sure that Prinny didnt mean that you shouldnt do taverns. I think he meant that he does them but dont pay attention to what happens there. Infact I think tavern work is an essential part of building your gladiator, not only for the training points but also for some great achievments you can get from doing them.

Seraphim53
10-02-2012, 01:05 PM
Speaking of; I'm still new here (new enough), I can't find any information on what "Luck" does/?

I understand it is a hidden stat, but what does it do? Is it JUST for finding stuff at the tavern? I seem to be able to tell my high luck guys from my low luck guys that way, but can't for the life of me think of why I'd use an achievement slot (or more than one) to augment a stat I can't see and don't know how it works???

Does anyone stack "Luck"?

Arcanna, and Arcanum are my two stables, and I've managed to keep up a decent win/loss record and still play everything every day. I think it's far more important (If you were going to NOT do something) to not buy a mediocre slave. Or if you were going to spend money on the game, do it by going through the slave market looking for a good slave.. everything else can be attained by either time or money, but the slave starting numbers are forever.

Im pretty sure that Prinny didnt mean that you shouldnt do taverns. I think he meant that he does them but dont pay attention to what happens there. Infact I think tavern work is an essential part of building your gladiator, not only for the training points but also for some great achievments you can get from doing them.

Lunarion199
10-02-2012, 11:55 PM
Luck: http://forum.pitofwar.com/showthread.php?399-Tip-of-the-Week!&highlight=luck (tip 9)