PDA

View Full Version : need suggestion

VenomLord
09-17-2012, 07:07 AM
First, Hey all...
I've only been playing pit of war for the past 2 weeks, so i'm new here.
Been reading a lot on theforum, and this is my first post.

I need advice, i'm about to buy my self a new slave with stat 87 65 69 72 83 60 55.
Because of the low chi and agility i've been thinking to make him another war.
Now i need some suggestion on
1. whether i should make him a 1h with shield, 2h or dual wield (str = axe right?)
2. If it's 1h, is it better to play tank or just parry bash/slash/lunge?
3. any advice on race is welcome.
4. is there any benefit in using spear? what are the disadvantage?

Thank you

oedi
09-17-2012, 08:41 AM
decent looking slave this one, and i agree war is a good choice.

1. to me this is a dual wield axe/mace glad.

2. to be really successful you need to learn how to use all your available fighting styles. They all have spesific uses in combination with your triggers. A solid base strat for this glad would be like this 4 activity 4 blood lust bash.

3. spite, trug and dunder in that order are my favorite war races.
This is were the planning start. You need to envision yourself how you want to play him when hes maxed out, this is of course difficult with little or no experience.
The easy way would probably be to go dunder to maximize damage.
Put on all the armor you can and train weapon, feint, create distance and armor movement until you got 30 points. When you hit 30 points you should atleast have a 10 in weapon skil. When at 30 war skills go for hamstring, war cry and athleticism and dont stop until you got them all maxed. In between all this train some brute force in the end youll want 10 in this skill also. After that go for 10 skill points in create distance. This will give you around 75 skill points. Spend the last 25 points to fine tune your glad and make it your own.

4. Polearms give you speed in a trade off for less damage. With speed a mean the ability to hit first not initiative. In another similar game i played some years ago, they used the term decisivness.

VenomLord
09-17-2012, 09:01 AM
Hi Oedi
thanks for the reply
1. thanks for the suggestion. I think i'll go for it
3. What does it mean 'slow initiative? Is it just a matter of who hit first each round??
I was thinking of going with spite, but wonders if the extra crit damage outweigh the loss in damage?
And i read everywhere i the forum Trug is very hard to do in early levels. the loss in endurance seems massive :(

oedi
09-17-2012, 09:35 AM
Slow initiative means that you most probably wont hit first, and that youll swing a little less than other races. To always go last can be devastating, but war glads has several skills that counter that problem. Fewer swings aint no problem since mace/axe damage with dunder bonus is awsome.

Increased crit effects far outweightes the penalty of little damage. This again becomes more true with axe/mace weapon choice.

The hard part of running a trugs is to accept the few losses youll get for running out of endurance. Its not so easy to compare the wins youll get from the increased hp, against those endurance loss. War is btw a great speciality for conserving endurance.

VenomLord
09-17-2012, 06:39 PM
Hi Oedi
Thx for all your advice. Now Mr. Harmony is a War Dunder dual wielding axe.
Wish me luck, hope i can catch up with your glads :)

Kreegan
09-17-2012, 10:44 PM
I tend to disagree about Athleticism, it doesn't seem to be doing any good except if your War is fighting with some two-handed/polearm weapon where every miss could be very problematic. For fighters who attack more than once per round it's not that important to always hit the target (although it's always better if they do) and Athleticism doesn't help you all that much to accomplish this task anyway - even if you develop it to 10 points your gladiator will still miss some hits, although not in every fight, while a gladiator who doesn't have the skill will miss, say, 20% more often. The War skill tree in general has the biggest collection of semi-useful and nearly useless skills of all but to compensate, the useful ones are really good.
An advise if you intend to go for Primus and have a chance for good and consistent performance there - head for Last Stand in the Rage tree. This is currently the most heavily exploited build in Primus no matter type of the fighter because the said skill gives you an enormous boost of your gladiator's performance. In essence, a Last Stand build has to be defeated twice in 1 fight as opposed to the other builds which have only 1 life. :p Of couse if you want you can try to experiment with other builds but you're quite unlikely to come up with something better.

Apoca1ypse
09-17-2012, 10:49 PM
That glad is an excellent pickup :) I'm rather jealous :P

Oedi's advice should treat you pretty well on the sands as you make your way up the ladder :)

VenomLord
09-18-2012, 09:29 AM
That glad is an excellent pickup :) I'm rather jealous :P

Oedi's advice should treat you pretty well on the sands as you make your way up the ladder :)

Thank you apo... I myself was very excited when i first saw the stats :)

also thx for the advice kreegan, i'll think about it.
Regarding Athleticism, as my choice of race is a dunder, wouldn't that means i get less strike per round compare to other races,
and would benefit more from athleticism even though i am not as slow as a 2hander

Prinny
09-18-2012, 09:48 AM
And i disagree on not having athleticism, gladiators can go on a higher activity while not missing as often which in turn can result in an extra attack and although ive never tested it's true potential I can see the difference in hits that my gladiators miss while training it up to 10.

As for the Last Stand, it's unsure when the tree gets revamped so to be honest I wouldn't train any new gladiator in this skill seeing as it also takes quite a while before even getting enough points in the rage skill tree to start training the skill. (4 skills 2 on 7 and 2 on 8)

As a dunder you don't really get less strikes a round however your hits will most likely land last in the round, I prefer making Wars Dunders though some will disagree, also since they have Hamstring and War Cry this decrease in initiative will get slightly compensated

Im also 1 of the only managers who is retarded enough not to learn my Last Stand wielding war Laharl Armour Movement although I have my own reasons for not doing this aslong as he has Last Stand :)

Kreegan
09-18-2012, 10:58 PM
I have a dual-wielding War who has a most of his strategies with very high activity (8-10) and very high bloodlust (same), doesn't have Athleticism and barely ever misses. The skill doesn't help you get past the defenses of the opponent, doesn't help you swing faster of better, just reduces the chances for clumsy attacks that don't hit the target which are few once you get to level 50 anyway.
Moreover, I suspect that neither Laharl nor Yuki Onna have Athleticism. :p

Alba Kebab
09-21-2012, 12:09 AM
In my experience, athleticism helps more when operating at the peak end, but if you're taking the measured approach to your swings, then it's probably not as critical a skill to you.